Friday, December 24, 2010

A Jedi Quest

And so I have set out on a quest to become a Jedi............

"I foresee you will become a great Jedi."

Hmm.....well, I doubt that, but hopefully it will be a great costume!  And what am I making?  Well, the goal is Obi-Wan Kenobi's jedi outfit from Revenge of the Sith.  Or a Lady Kenobi version of it anyway...... 

 

















Why Star Wars garb?  I love to sew, but lately, I've been rather bored with the Renaissance stuff, and the Western Pleasure Show shirts I've been making to sell.  They don't sell very fast, so sometimes it doesn't seem worth the effort, but I'll still make some here and there, and when one does sell, it's a nice little bonus to put toward the horse hobby or the sewing hobby.  And I've always wanted to make some of the costumes from Star Wars, and other movies, so might was well give the movie costuming a try!  And let my inner geek have a little fun!

Why a Jedi?  Well, Jedi are just plain cool, that's why!  Definitely some of my favorite characters in the movies and books, right up there with a certain group of Rogue and Wraith Squadron pilots!  And of the costumes from Star Wars that I would like to make, Jedi garb seemed like one of the easiest places to start.

And why Obi-Wan?  Because Obi-Wan rocks!  He's definitely my favorite character of the prequel movies.  He's a jedi (see above).  And of all the jedi outfits in the movies, Obi-Wan's episode three jedi garb is by far my favorite.  So we'll give it a try and see how it goes!  Ideally, I'd like to make it well enough to qualify for acceptance in the Rebel Legion costuming group.  At least as a generic jedi, but preferably as the face character it's supposed to be (as long as I can skip the hair and beard part, I'd look pretty funny with a beard).  But we'll see.  Just seemed like a good winter project!

So, I've been researching patterns and fabrics and photos, trying to get everything I need to replicate the costume as closely as possible.  So far, the following websites have been very helpful, among others:


Now, I'll definitely be making the fabric parts of the costume myself.  As for the lightsaber, boots, belt, and other accessories.....those will probably be purchased.  There's a lot of tutorials out there to make the stuff, but.....I'll stick to what I know and make the fabric pieces!

And so my quest to become a Jedi begins!  May the Force be with me! 

"I don't mind flying, but what you're doing is suicide!"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi - Attack of the Clones

No comments:

Post a Comment